Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Go get a snack...you're gonna' be here awhile!



I've been busy. I've been without Internet/email service at home for 2 weeks and trying to fix that problem - still to no avail. I've been an emotional wreck. I've been excited. I've been nervous. I've not known what to expect. My heart's been full of pride and then of sadness all within minutes of each other. I've been frustrated. I've been elated. I've been tired. I've been touched. I've been grateful - - - - - - I AM BLESSED....

As most of you know, a few months ago I sort of fell into committing myself as a team captain for the Pittsboro Relay for Life. I'm a "sucker" that way, that's how I got hooked on selling Mary Kay makeup 20 years ago! But my heart was in the right place that night. It had only been a few short months since my buddy Deb died from cancer and we learned of my grandmother's diagnosis with colon cancer and subsequent surgery, barely a year after my grandfather endured the same. After hearing the testamonials and feeling the excitement in the room I thought, I want some of this!!! So, as the proverbial saying goes, I signed on the dotted line.

Ever since then, it's like I've been in a Flyer red wagon heading down hill FAST!!!! I drummed up my team (okay, I convinced my family to join in) and began my mission of setting monetary goals and a fundraising activity for the night of the event. I made phone calls to my teamates regularly to "check in" and give the necessary pep talk. I asked for their donations to be turned in on a regular basis. I sent encouraging emails to them telling them what wonderful people they are. I cleaned my house feverishly anticipating my company - because all of my teamates are out-of-towners you see. And I baked cupcakes...lots and lots of cupcakes. I baked big ones and little ones. I baked chocolate mint ones, chocolate peanut butter ones, strawberry ones and carrot cake ones. I've never baked so many cupcakes in my life. The cupcakes were for our fundraiser at the event. Check this out...




A pretty table setting, don't you think? We got lots of nice compliments and even sold a few cupcakes! And that's our tent behind the table and my dad. Instead of a monetary donation, Lee Reddinbow, a friend of my niece's, went to REI, purchased the tent and sent it down here with Christa for us to use for the night! How generous was that? I don't know if Lee will ever use the tent again - that's the kind of guy he is. He saw we had a need and he helped fullfill it. Thank you Lee! Anyway, the tent became a haven for us and the cupcakes when the skies opened and the rain POURED down!!! It became simply comical watching each of us grab a tray of cupcakes or a framed "menu" and head for cover in the tent! Even my dad, God love him, crawled in that tent to help protect our sweet concoctions! And we did this not once but THREE times!!! Obviously, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed! I insisted, once the clouds parted and the rain stopped, that we set the table - AGAIN - only to have another storm cloud pass and, well, you're getting the picture! It was like a Lucille Ball act after awhile!!! Oh, where was the video camera??!!



But, eventually, things did dry up and we were able to hear the cash register ring (okay, it was my dad's modified first aid kit, but, again, you get the idea)!




This was my innaugural Relay. I did not know what I was in store for. I knew the schedule of events and the role of my team and I'd even prepared myself for a lump in my throat. I was not prepared enough.


These are the cancer survivors we recognized in our little community that day. Cancer has no regard for race, sex or age... I fell apart here and the event hadn't even been officially kicked off. I cried tears of happiness for my grandparents for both of them are survivors. I cried tears of anger because Deb did not survive and I cried tears of disbelief and unfairness when I saw the three young children in this group of incredible people. I cried tears of complete sadness because my husband's mother did not survive - and I know how much he misses her. And I cried tears of joy because I had my husband there with me to comfort me and I had my family there to share this time with me and because maybe, just maybe, by being a part of this tiny little event I might help make a difference one day.


And how appropriate is God's timing? Sunday after the Relay was Homecoming at my church. This is when we celebrate those church members and community friends who have gone home to be with God. It's a time when extended family members join us in prayer and fellowship in our little country church. And I was so fortunate to have my family with me at this event, too! Here's my gang... oh how I love them...


I have so much more to share - memories we made, pictures we took - but I'll save some for later. Instead, I thought I'd close by saying prayers do get answered, our lives can be fulfilling especially when doing things for others, things don't always make sense, there's good in everyone, tragedy strikes, sadness creeps in, a new day brings new opportunity, EVERYTHING happens for a reason and in GOD'S way and time and HE is truly the leader and in complete control. When I moved to Bear Creek, North Carolina 6 years ago this July, my life changed. For that, I am eternally grateful. I believe and accept that I am where I am supposed to be - physically and spritually and I don't want to be anywhere else...my cup runneth over...and so does my heart...







1 comment:

Brandi said...

Love this photo! :)