Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Second (Important) Posting

This is my grandmother, my mom's mother. I'm not sure how old she is in this photo but I'm thinking it was taken in the early to mid 1940's. Isn't she breathtakingly beautiful?

Today is my grandmother's birthday and I believe she's 83. While I'm not able to celebrate with her today, she did get her celebratory birthday sing-a-long from me, my daughter and son-in-law with the dog as back up!


My grandmother was and is something else. She's often referred to as "crusty". And all things considered, she was a very young grandmother to my brother and me and an even younger great-grandmother when my daughter came along. She was a smoker for more than 50 years of her life. As a kid, I thought she was so glamorous when she pulled out her cigarette case. She sports a tattoo on her right shoulder blade. She cusses like a sailor. She is a jewelry hound - the bigger the stone, the better (that's where Brandi gets it from!). She has always had the most beautiful smile. She's never been a snuggler or hugger but she's quick to tell us she loves us. She has a deep, soothing voice when she's trying to comfort us. She will not hesitate to tell us when we've put on weight. She is ALWAYS on our side. She loves lipstick (that's where I get it from!). She likes to shop but is an in and out kinda' gal - no window shopping at all! She loves Chinese food. She's never driven a day in her life. She is the last surviving child of 5. She had her last child AFTER my mom had my brother - yep, my brother is older than our uncle! She has the most infectious laugh and I've actually seen her laugh until she cried! She has always been there for me, never judged me and always supported me. She has the most beautiful blue eyes. As she gets older, she doesn't hear as well so we can now make fun and laugh at her and she doesn't even know it - although she tells us to shut up anyway (remember, crusty). She and my grandfather have lived in the same house for over 40 years. She loves me to her deepest core, and I've always known that.

How blessed am I?

Happy Birthday Ma! You rock - always have, always will.

I love you with all that I have.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I think this is my most favorite picture of Ma. She looks like she should've been in the movies. :) I can't wait to see her next weekend! Maybe she'll have some new rings to look at...LOL Ha!! I just hope she doesn't say I look "sickly," you know, the OTHER end of fat...:)