Monday, May 4, 2009

Camera-less Weekend

Because I'm still VERY bitter, holding a grudge and pouting about not being able to go with my husband to OH to run the Flying Pig Half Marathon, I think it's better I don't elaborate on the details of what held me back. Instead, I'll share my weekend back here at home, albeit a "fake photo" one.

Let me digress briefly...I am a techy, a nerd - although I know very little about technology I think I need all the latest gadgets out there (and usually that's because a new color has come out or it's been made smaller and, therefore, "cuter"!). I say this because my husband took our only digital camera with him to the aforementioned (let's not talk about it) race this weekend leaving me camera-less. The only reason I need to purchase a back-up digital camera! Oh, maybe a red one! But wait, they come in pink and purple, too! See, so many tough choices! I think I'll add said camera to my mother's day wish list...

Because the weekend away was planned months ago and Michael and I both were supposed to go, my folks had planned on being here to animal sit. They decided to come anyway and spend the weekend with me and "play in the dirt" as my mom likes to say.

As usual, much progress was made! Mom planted one of these...

(Tulip Tree - photo courtesy of Internet Google Images)
And one of these...

(Wisteria - photo courtesy of Internet Google Images)

I'm anticipating having to move the tulip tree once my husband gets home and sees where it's starting to take root...my mom is notorious for planting stuff smack in the middle of the yard. We, on the other hand, prefer to plant along the edge of the property line. The wisteria, however, is in the perfect spot. We (big Daddy) have plans to build a little sitting/eating/cooking area around an already existing concrete slab and put a pergola "roof/covering" over the top. The idea is to have the wisteria latch on and cover the pergola making a canopy of pretty hanging purple blooms. The vision is beautiful, I just hope the realization is just as nice! Hopefully we'll be enjoying this outside living room next summer!

My front door was mom's pet project of the weekend. This has been weeks in the making. I wanted to change the color (to red, of course) and mom was determined to change the glass (the original was old and had faux 'snow' around the edges that simply made it look dirty - yuck!). I told her not to worry about the glass, I would live with it. We could use that money on something else (this was a conversation from about a month ago). She agreed, reluctantly, but said my dad would at least replace the molding with something "pretty". As Daddy was nailing the new molding in place, he accidentally broke the glass out of the front door. You can imagine my mom's horror - NOT!!! I think I heard her squeal with delight in the basement that evening! Fast forward to this weekend. New glass inserted, door painted and a super shiny coat of polyurethane and we have a BEAUTIFUL, welcoming new VERY RED front door. At this point, I would have inserted a lovely picture of my gorgeous new door but...oh, that's right!!! I had a camera-less weekend!!

Details and photos will follow later this week.


2 comments:

Just Marianne said...

I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting on a picture of the pretty red door. I had even forgotten (from the first of the post to the last!) that you didn't have a camera. I was think, one more mouse scroll and it'll appear..............

Brandi said...

Ha! You are too funny - and I wait with bated breath to see the new front door!! :) Love you to pieces!!