Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Hand-Me-Downs"

As I've gotten older and "matured", I've become a little frustrated with realizing I've had to wait this long to learn true appreciation for certain things. Why is that? Why does it sometimes take 1/2 a lifetime to learn what a treasure your grandmother's china is or how much love and effort your great grandmother put into making the quilt by hand that hangs on the wall? I suppose I shouldn't dwell on it but rather be grateful that I DO finally "get it". And at this point in my life, I "get it" loud and clear and now even dream of when some valued treasured may be sent my way!



During our recent visit back to Mike's hometown, we had the pleasure of spending some time with his Aunt Wilma. Besides being priceless to us herself, Aunt Wilma's house is a treasure filled with family heirlooms and pieces of family history - oh, if Mike's grandfather's rocking chair could talk... To our surprise, Aunt Wilma had decided to hand down a few precious "things" to Mike and me.


First, here's Mike's Uncle Rawleigh's Underwood typewriter that he used in high school. Isn't it wonderful?! And it works! Even the return arm works. I knew we were going to be given this little beauty and I couldn't get to Kentucky fast enough to pick it up! I'd love to read the history papers Uncle Rawleigh typed up on this...or maybe even the love letters he created and sent to Aunt Wilma... We've cleared off a spot on the table that sits under the window in our office - the perfect place in my opinion. I see it everyday and daydream about the stories that may have been pecked out so thoughtfully...

What we weren't expecting were the Homer Laughlin serving bowl (on the left) and the beautiful, almost dainty cake plate on the right. These will both be put to good use. I am not a believer of putting things up for display only. They were meant to be used and so they will be. Also in this photo in the right corner is a tiny pink glass "hen on a nest" mini salt cellar. Mike and I found this in a little junk shop in downtown Flemingsburg. I wish now I'd have gotten at least four. Maybe they'll be there the next time we go back.

As a result of my recent epiphany, I'm trying to instill in my grown daughter the importance and value in items that loved ones pass on to us. Not monetary value but sentimental value. I don't want Brandi to have to wait half her lifetime to learn this lesson. I want her to treasure the pieces of jewelry her great grandmother has given to her and for her to always know the love that was part of the gift giving. And maybe she can even conjure up a picture in her mind of how her great grandmother might have looked in her party dress while wearing that strand of pearls or that sparkling diamond ring... the memories are almost more valuable than the gift itself...

And so I say...thank you, Aunt Wilma, for sharing a piece of your history, your life with Mike and me and, more importantly, for helping to make our house a home. We will treasure these "hand-me-downs", use them and care for them lovingly and smile warmly when we think of where they came from...

No comments: