Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I've been lax...

I've allowed way too much time to pass between postings. It was my intent to write a little something EVERY day! It's not like I have a job or kids taking up my time! What's my problem? Actually, I have been busy. My dad was here last week and we worked on the "dressing area". No one really knows what to call this..."room". It sits between my bathroom and our bedroom and houses what it supposed to be a closet. It's really wasted space in my opinion. And if I could afford an architect I'd have the whole thing redesigned. But, it is what it is, as is our checkbook. At first, I was going to make it a little sitting area with an overstuffed, recycled (Habitat, Goodwill, etc) chair and floor lamp; a little place to sit and put on our shoes. But, my mom and I came across this sweet little desk and at least for now it's replaced my idea of the chair and lamp.

My mom and dad and I re-covered the little chair. It originally had some gangly, awful yellow brocade fabric on it that was literally stiff when we took it off! Yuck! This is MUCH sweeter! You may be able to notice the faint color (yes, that's pink) on the wall behind the desk. It's slightly darker than I'd hoped but still so soft. And I think it looks great against the bright white trim. You can also see that I haven't done anything with the floor yet, it's still just the sub-floor showing. I absolutely cannot decide on what I want in here. Okay, that's not true. What I REALLY want is a berber carpet. But there is NO way that's going to happen with a dog and 5 cats in the house - uh, uh, no way, no how!!!! That's one of the things we loved most about this house when we bought it - hard wood or tile floors throughout! So, it'll just stay "raw" until I decide. Unfortunately, because I haven't put down the floor, I can't put down the baseboard or corner mold either! Ugh!!! I want this done!! And it also means no pretties on the walls yet, either! Ugh! I want this done!! For absolute certain, this house and the projects that have come with it have taught me, unwillingly I might add, the test of patience.

And speaking of patience, while I was "watching the paint dry" I remembered a little stool that has been traveling with me for close to 20 years. It's never really served any purpose and I have no idea why I've hung on to for so long and dragged it from state to state but I have and it's still with me. I remembered this little stool tucked away in a dark place and thought..."I bet I can put some life in that little stool and give it a home in what I hope to become my shabby-chic dressing area". So, one evening while watching the TV, my oh-so-willing dad and I did this...
What do you think? I know, it's a little overstuffed but still cute. Maybe a footstool for me under the desk (notice that the fabric on the chair matches the stool...I planned it that way) or maybe a step-stool for the kitties to use to jump on something higher up? (I probably shouldn't enourage that, huh?) The possiblities are endless. I'll let you know where the stool puts its roots when it's all said and done. What do you think, another coat of white paint or leave it sort of "aged" looking?
I attempted to take some pics of the dressing room but for the life of me could not get any good angles. I'm telling you, it's an architectual disaster! I'll keep trying or see if Michael could do any better.
My dad will be back next Wednesday/Thursday. Remeber, Michael and I are leaving for VA Beach to run the Shamrock Half Marathon! Yikes, only one more week!! Daddy's coming to babysit the herd and the dog and to, hopefully, finish up our bedroom. I can definitely get some before and after shots of that room, which I will do, and post them in the next day or so. Now that's turning out to be a real transformation! Remember, our entire house - inside - is barnwood. All together now, can we say "dark and depressing"?! But with each room getting a face lift with a little bright paint, it's actually becominig charming... there's no place like home.
"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments: