Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Balls Sucked

I pride myself on a few things: 1) getting the Thank-you note/email out in a timely fashion, 2) always saying please and thank you, 3) never arriving at a gathering that I've been invited to empty handed, 4) being a good hostess and 5) being a self-proclaimed good cook.

Early in December I attended my book club's annual Christmas party. Karen was our hostess this year and she really outdid herself; fruitcake, peanut butter sammy cookies, fresh fruit, a tasty assortment of wines and Bourbon Balls!

I can't remember if I've ever had Bourbon Balls. I'm inclined to say "no" because, well, I don't like bourbon. But I was in the spirit of the season and am less likely at this point in my life to miss out on something new. So, two balls made their way to my plate...then two more...and, although I can't swear to it but I'm sure had a breath-a-lizer been available, it could've been proven that I ingested 2 or 4 MORE balls. I LOVED these things. So much so, I asked Karen to share the recipe.

I followed it verbatim - I swear I did. And, no, there was no sipping of the ingredients to make sure everything was fresh. I didn't miss a teaspoon, a cup, a pinch. I did break my spatula while stirring and stirring and stirring. Should that have been a hint?

My family were real troopers - Brandi graciously spit her's out into a napkin as her face contorted into a shape I'm certain was painful and my dad, well, he was steadily putting a dent in the bowl full (this from the same man who gave me UGGS for Christmas) out of nothing but love I'm sure.

There's still a tupperware container full of the powdered-sugar little orbs in the refrigerator and two gallon-sized bags of the "batter" in the freezer. They all need to be thrown out but because of the cost, I simply can't bring myself to do it.

Had I thought of it sooner, I would have rung in the new year with these potent spheres and saved my money on the champagne.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I know....I'm so sorry...but I've discovered I'm just not a ball fan. :)

Ronalyn said...

LOL - your title got my attention. So they even tasted terrible to you? LOL!