Sunday, January 25, 2009

Heavy Hearts In North Carolina

(Photo courtesy of NC State website)
She'd been battling the fight since 1987. I wonder how many rounds that would equate to in a boxing match...too many for any one person to contend with, wouldn't you agree?
I don't care where you live in North Carolina or what college or university team you pulled for, you know Kay Yow. This was a woman who was respected by the entire faculty, staff and student body of North Carolina State University to say nothing of the collegiate level sports teams, both men and women, nation wide.
What I think speaks volumes about Kay's character is that, while she'll certainly be remembered for her coaching skills on the basketball court, her faith in God and love for mankind will stand one court's length above her winning stats.
I personally will miss hearing Coach Yow's pep talks and her health updates that she shared with the public periodically. I can only imagine the void that's been left in the hearts of the young women on her '08-'09 Lady Wolfpak team. My heart is full for these girls. But I'm confident that she told each of them what they meant to her and that they, too, needed to press on with their lives and do something wonderful with what God has given them.
I'm also confident that Coach Yow is comfortable and pain free in the arms of our loving Father.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I don't know this lady, but I feel for her family today. :(