Monday, August 11, 2008

I've Been Away...working

no...seriously

really...

honestly...


I'm not fibbing...

it was a work trip...

My company, "Lamar Companies", hosted a leasing meeting this past week. We were to meet in Clearwater Beach, Florida on Thursday afternoon August 7. Our spouses/significant others were welcome to join us, they simply had to pay for their own airfare. It was on like donkey kong here in Bear Creek! I've never seen Michael Mineer work his Priceline magic so fast or with such care! There was NO WAY he was going to miss this trip! The beach? Accommodations paid for? ALL YOU CAN EAT SEAFOOD BUFFET PAID FOR FOR TWO DAYS AND TWO NIGHTS - WHAT, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? If he had to work 5 "side jobs" to pay for his airline ticket, Michael was going to Florida with the Mama!

We had a blast!! My co-leasing agents, Mike, Mike and Sam (yep, that's right...3 mikes on this trip. Easy for my boss to remember everyone!) were there along with Mike M's wife Susan and Sam's fiance Cara. Mike C's wife stayed back to get their rising college freshman ready to head to Virginia Tech. I hope to be able to meet her at the NEXT leasing meeting (hmm...wonder what tropical place that will be...). And, of course, my boss Jeff and his wife Lynne were there.

Lynne did all the planning and really did a fabulous job. It's not easy trying to make a group of people happy! We had a beach-front hotel that was to die for! Pictures number 2, 3, and 4 (from top to bottom) are the view from our balcony. Hard to take, huh? Oh, the birds "talking", the waves lapping, the seagulls yelling, the pool splashing... no wonder people retire there. It was a real treat to wake up every morning...

Thursday afternoon was a meet and great. Most of us had never met before. That's one of the down sides of telecommuting, never meeting your co-workers. Thursday night we were off to Shepard's for the all you can eat seafood buffet. You wouldn't believe me if I told you... Friday was a work day. Our spouses were on their own in the morning. We had conference calls from 7:30 - 11:30 AM. We all met for lunch at the Calypso Queen (pictured above). It had a buffet, too but...well...not so good. Either that or I was just a little queezy from the motion of the ocean (or Gulf of Mexico in this case). Actually, the little luncheon cruise was a little "cheesy" but wonderful nonetheless! Hey, I was out from behind a computer, on the water, wind in my hair, sun on my face, surrounded by new friends and my hubby!!! What a lunch hour, huh?? After lunch, the spouses went back to doing whatever they wanted and we went back to work. Later that evening, about 6:45, we met again for a group dinner. This time we headed to "Crabby Bill's". AMAZING!!!! The oysters on the half shell were flying - couldn't get to our table fast enough! And Fernando the waiter was one I'll not soon forget (rats! forgot to get a picture of Fernando...). There was a little chaos in one of the cabs on the short (okay maybe 5 blocks) ride back to the hotel. Picture "cash cab" middle eastern style! Ha! You really had to be there (rats! forgot to get a picture of the cabbie "Moses"...from Israel... I'll let you picture your own scenario here). Night caps were had on the deck in the restaurant of the hotel and goodbyes were said there.

Mike and I, like the others, decided to take advantage of already being there and stay an extra day/night. So, we got up Saturday, rented a car and headed off to Madeira Beach and "John's Pass". B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!! We had an early lunch at Bubba Gump's (I was in heaven - one of my FAVORITE movies of all time) and then hit the boardwalk and surrounding areas. We spent hours in John's Pass going from shop to shop to shop. How many tee shirts can one man buy/have? Seriously people, I bought one tee - from Bubba's - and I was/am a happy girl! Now, I also snuck in a pair of Rainbow flip flops but they were on sale for $30.00 at The Walking Company! $30.00 bucks people for a pair of Rainbows!!! I'd have been a fool not to get those babies!!! And, I really DID/DO need a new pair of brown flips!

We tooled all around that area all day and then headed back to Clearwater. We got cleaned up and then walked to "Frenchy's" for dinner that night. "Frenchy's" is a long-time favorite in Clearwater and highly recommended by the locals. It's famous for it's Super Grouper Sandwich...and I have to publicly report...the Super Grouper kicked DH's butt!!! For those of you who know my husband, he likes to eat and RARELY does he take on more than he can handle. But the Super Grouper, well, it was just a little too much for Mikey. Of course, the clam appetizers and the salad didn't help! We topped the evening off with a walk along the newly created "boardwalk" and then out on the pier, where we met Jack Sparrow - arrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Sunday it was up, breakfast with the birds (literally), a fond last look at the beautiful Floridian coastline and a quick plane ride home to NC.

I am thankful and I am blessed and I never forget it...

1 comment:

Paul and Cathy said...

Welcome back Joyce and Mike, glad you had a wonderful time and thanks for all the details, I am now officially hungry!
cathy