Monday, April 20, 2009

Supporting The Arts (Locally) And The Rest Of The Weekend

On Friday night, I had the pleasure of taking my two buds, Linda and Cathy, to see "Little Women" at our historic Temple Theater in Sanford, NC. Built in 1925, The Temple is a true gem in this little community and is working overtime to stay afloat in these uncertain economic times. I encourage you, if you're ever in the area, to treat yourselves to a show here. You won't be disappointed.


I can't imagine that there's someone out there who is not familiar with Little Women. But, in case not, this is classic, quality theater for the entire family. Little Women was inspired by Louisa May Alcott's classic 1869 novel and her own experiences. This particular performance brings to life family, friendship and romance.

The girls all dolled up for a night on the town! Aren't they beautiful?


(Click on the photo for a close-up/better shot)

And then on Saturday, after working a couple of hours at the Broadway Our Way Festival in Broadway, NC, I headed to the Riddle's house for an afternoon of celebration. My friend and neighbor, Jeanne Riddle, has finished her schooling and is now a registered nurse in the State of North Carolina! Way to go Jeanne! She is so deserving of this honor. Jeanne's worked for years to gain this recognition. I couldn't be happier for her. Jeanne's in-laws, Jack and Peggy, hosted the graduation celebration.

(Click on the photo for a close-up/better shot)

I could've moved in with Jack and Peggy. Not only because they are two of the sweetest, most giving people I know but just look at this spread where they live!! Can we all say "Serene"?! Believe me when I tell you the photos don't do it justice. I think if my mom were there, she would've been dangling her feet in the pond, watching the boys fish and attached herself to the railing refusing to budge when I told her it was time to leave! She would've also been deciding exactly how many white ducks to purchase - no really, she would've been.


On my way out, I snapped a quick shot of my "neighbor boys". I've watched these guys grow up. I remember Samuel, the one in the red shirt, coming up my field/yard with his pull ups on and a walkie-talkie stuffed down each side. He was helping his dad help me replace the pump in my well. Isn't that the best memory? It was a toddler's version of High Noon! I love these boys. They have a very special place in my heart. Benjamin is Samuel's older brother. That's him in the camo tee. I don't know the little guy peeking around Samuel's shoulder. But he can be my friend, too!

This past weekend was one of those in which you sigh a heavy, contented sigh. I'm sure you know what I mean. My path was crossed with friends and loved ones and confirmation of faith. And I think my preacher developed his sermon JUST FOR ME... a good weekend indeed.


1 comment:

Karen said...

Joyce, that really is lovely! Glad you all had such a great time. See ya soon! Karen